Call Us: (303) 848-3804

Steps to Forming a Vermont Corporation

Information We Need From You to Start Your Corporation

1: Select a Name: Your company name must contain one of the following: Corporation, Incorporated, Company or Limited or an abbreviation of one of these terms.

2: Authorize Shares: A corporation is owned by its shareholders, who own shares of stock in the company. Vermont requires you to identify the number of shares you intend to initially authorize. Typically, a corporation would only authorize a small number of shares (100, for example). At the first shareholders meeting, you would issue 51% of those shares to yourself, leaving the remaining 49% for future business partners.

3: Choose Management: A corporation is run by its Directors. The Directors are responsible for setting company policy, issuing stock, appointing the corporate directors and establishing salaries and bonuses. In most cases, you would simply appoint yourself the sole Director and take on the roles of the corporate officers (President, Secretary, Treasurer).

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Purpose: the lawful business your corporation is going to engage in.

  • Registered Agent: all lawful registered agents must maintain a physical street address within Vermont. This is called a registered office (no PO boxes). All of our Speedy filings come with one free year of Vermont registered agent service by Northwest Registered Agent. This service keeps your private name and office addresses off the public record and fulfills the registered agent, mailing and principal office requirements.

  • Principal office address: the physical street address of the business office where your corporate books and financial records are kept.

  • Fiscal year end: you can designate which month you want as the end of your fiscal year. If you do not choose, December will automatically be your fiscal year end.

  • Directors: the names and addresses of your corporation’s directors (must be at least one).

Form Your Corporation Here Online

Steps to Forming a Vermont LLC

Information We Need From You to Start Your LLC

1: Select a Name: Your company name must end with one of the following phrases or abbreviations: Limited Liability Company, Limited Company, LLC, Ltd Liability Co., LC or Ltd Co. If you want to see if your company name is currently available, you can do a Vermont business name search.

2: Membership: The owners of an LLC are known as members. Members are not issued shares of stock as they would be in a corporation. Instead, members receive an ownership percentage. Percentages are usually (though not always) in direct proportion to the amount each member has invested in the company.

3: Choose Management: LLCs are typically managed by their members. There is no board of directors and no corporate officers. Instead, LLC members usually make decisions about company policy and finance, as well as taking part in the day to day operations. However, an LLC can also elect to hire a manager to run the company. Managers can be members, or they can be outside parties.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Purpose: the lawful business your LLC intends to conduct.

  • Principal office: the address of the business office where your company books and financial records are kept.

  • Registered Agent: legal Vermont registered agents must have a physical street address within the state, called a registered office. This cannot be a PO box. All of our Speedy filings come with one free year of Vermont registered agent service. This free service keeps your personal home and office addresses out of the public record and fulfills your registered agent, mailing and principal office requirements.

  • Fiscal year end: you can choose a specific month to designate as the end of your LLC’s fiscal year. If you do not choose, December will automatically be designated as the fiscal year end.

  • Management: whether your LLC is managed by its members or a manager (or managers).

  • Liability: whether or not any members of your LLC are personally liable for the debts and obligations of your company. 

  • Effective date: if you want the legal date of your LLC’s formation to be later than your filing date, you can specify a future day (no later than 90 days after your filing).

Form Your LLC Here Online

Testimonials

It’s nice to know that there are still companies taking pride in customer satisfaction. I’m glad I used your services to get my company incorporated.” - Neil W., Windsor, Vermont

I am so impressed with your company. Your price was the best online and your deluxe package was just what I needed. I had a question and you responded in one day. Thanks so much and keep up the great work! ” - Charles L., Burlington, Vermont