Call Us: (303) 848-3804

Steps to Forming a Maryland Corporation

Information We Need From You to Start Your Corporation

1: Select a Name: Your company name must contain one of the following: Corporation, Incorporated, Limited, Inc., Corp., or Ltd.

2: Authorize Shares: All corporations are owned by their shareholders, who own shares of stock in the company. Maryland requires you to identify the number of shares you intend to authorize. Generally, you would authorize an easily-divisible number of shares—say, 100—and at your first shareholders meeting you would issue 51% of those shares to yourself. The remaining 49% can be saved for future business partners. Maryland also wants a par value for your shares, which is not the actual value but rather the lowest price they can be sold for.

3: Choose Management: A corporation is run by its Directors. The Directors are in charge of company policy, salaries and bonuses, issuing stock and appointing the corporate officers.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Purpose of business: the lawful business your company will perform.

  • Principal address: the physical street address within Maryland (cannot be a PO box). 

  • Resident Agent: all lawful resident agents (also called registered agents) have a physical street address in the state. This is known as a registered office, and it cannot be a PO box. Speedy filings come with one free year of Maryland resident agent service by Northwest Registered Agent. This service keeps your private home and office addresses off the public record and fulfills the resident agent, mailing and principal address requirements.

  • Directors: the number of initial directors and their names.

Form Your Corporation Here Online

Steps to Forming a Maryland LLC

Information We Need From You to Start Your LLC

1: Select a Name: Your company name must include one of the following: Limited Liability Company, L.L.C., LLC, L.C., or LC. If you want to see if your company name is currently available, you can perform a Maryland business name search.

2: Membership: LLC owners are known as members. Unlike corporations, LLCs do not issue stock to owners. Instead, members receive an ownership percentage. In most companies, each member’s ownership percentage is related to how much they have invested in the company.

3: Choose Management: Typically, an LLC will be managed by its members. The members oversee the daily operations and make all company policy decisions. However, in some cases members choose to appoint a manager to run the business. Managers can be members, or they can be outside parties.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Purpose of business: the lawful business you intend to conduct.

  • Maryland address: the physical street address of your business office in Maryland (cannot be a PO box).

  • Resident Agent: lawful Maryland resident agents must maintain a physical street address within the state (not a PO box). This is known as a registered office. Our Speedy filings come with one free year of Maryland resident agent service. This keeps your private home and office addresses out of the public record and fulfills your resident agent, mailing and principal address requirements. 

Form Your LLC Here Online

Testimonials

Thanks so much for making the act of forming my limited liability company one of ease and for getting things done so quickly. Great service.” - Alice E., Laurel, Maryland

I can’t believe that I own a corporation. I am so excited and wanted to thank you for all of the stellar service you provided me along the way.” - Michael Y., Silver Spring, Maryland

You guys are simply the best. Please thank your staff and helpful phone support people for the hand holding along the way.” - Denise C., Baltimore, Maryland