Call Us: (303) 848-3804

Steps to Forming a Kentucky Corporation

Information We Need From You to Start Your Corporation

1: Select a Name: Your company name must include one of the following: Corporation, Incorporated, Company, Limited, Corp., Inc., Co., or Ltd.

2: Authorize Shares: To designate ownership, corporations have shares of stock. Owners are known as shareholders because they own stock in the company. Kentucky requires you to determine how many shares of stock you are going to initially authorize. Most corporations simply authorize a small number of shares (100, for example). You would issue 51% of those shares to yourself at the first shareholders meeting, giving you control. The other 49% can be saved for future business leaders.

3: Choose Management: Corporations are managed by their Directors. Directors set company policy, establish salaries and bonuses, appoint corporate officers (President, Treasurer, Secretary), issue stock, etc. In most cases, you will appoint yourself as the sole Director. You would normally take on the roles of the corporate officers.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Registered Agent: a legal registered agent in Kentucky must have a physical street address where they can accept service of process (no PO boxes). This is known as a registered address. Our Speedy filings come with one free year of Kentucky registered agent service by Northwest Registered Agent. This service keeps your private home and office address off the public record and fulfills the registered agent, mailing and principal office requirements.

  • Principal office address: the mailing address of your business office where your corporate records and financial books are kept.

  • Delayed effective date: if you want your corporation’s formation date to be later than your filing date, you can specify a later date or time (cannot be later than 90 days after filing).

Form Your Corporation Here Online

Steps to Forming a Kentucky LLC

Information We Need From You to Start Your LLC

1: Select a Name: Your company name must contain one of the following: Limited Liability Company, Limited Company, LLC or LC. If you wish to abbreviate “Limited Company” you must use the abbreviation “Ltd. Co.” If you want to see if your company name is available, you can do a Kentucky business name search.

2: Membership: Unlike a corporation, an LLC doesn’t issue shares to owners. Instead, owners—known as members—are given an ownership percentage. This percentage is usually in proportion to the amount invested by each member.

3: Choose Management: Most LLCs are simply managed by their members. They set company policy, make all business decisions, and take part in the daily business. However, members can also elect a manager to oversee the day to day operations. A manager can be a member or a third party.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Registered Agent: legal registered agents must have a physical street address in the state of Kentucky (no PO boxes). This is called a registered office. Speedy filings come with one free year of Kentucky registered agent service. This service keeps your private home and office addresses off the public record and fulfills your registered agent, mailing and principal office requirements.

  • Principal office address: the mailing address of the business office where your company records and financial books are kept.

  • Management: you must identify whether your company will be managed by your members or a manager.

  • Delayed effective date: if you want your LLC’s official formation date to be later than your filing date, you can specify a later date or time (cannot be later than 90 days after filing).

Form Your LLC Here Online

Testimonials

Your service is excellent. I only wish online incorporation had existed when I formed my first business many years ago.” - Dean R., Lexington, Kentucky

Thank you again and again for all the help you provided me. You were quick to repond to email and made the process a breeze.” - Susan P., Covington, Kentucky

I knew it was time to take my home business to an official level and I’m glad I chose your service to do it. It was faster than I expected LLC formation to be.” - Cara C., Prospect, Kentucky