Call Us: (303) 848-3804

Steps to Forming a Connecticut Corporation

Information We Need From You to Start Your Corporation

1: Select a Name: Your company name must include one of the following words: Corporation, Incorporated, Company, Societa per Azioni, or Limited. Or it must contain one of the following abbreviations: Corp., Inc., Co., S.p.A., or Ltd.

2: Authorize Shares: Corporations are owned by their shareholders, who own shares of stock in the company. Connecticut requires you to designate the number of shares you are authorizing when you form your corporation. In most cases, you would authorize a small number of easily-divisible shares (100, for example), and then you would issue yourself 51% of the shares to give control. The other 49% can remain for future business partners.

Connecticut also asks for the class of shares if you intend to issue more than one kind. Most corporations issue only common stock, and thus they have only one class of shares.

3: Choose Management: Corporations are run by Directors. The Directors are responsible for setting company policy, establishing salaries and bonuses, issuing stock, and appointing the corporate officers (President, Treasurer, Secretary). Typically, you would be the Director and appoint yourself to take on the roles of the corporate officers.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Registered Agent: a legal Connecticut registered must keep a physical street address within the state. This office is called a registered office (no PO boxes). All our Speedy filings include one free year of Connecticut registered agent service by Northwest Registered Agent. This service keeps your home and office addresses off the public records for the registered agent, mailing and principal office requirements.

Form Your Corporation Here Online

Steps to Forming a Connecticut LLC

Information We Need From You to Start Your LLC

1: Select a Name: Your company name must include one of the following: Limited Liability Company, LLC, L.L.C., Limited Liability Co., Ltd. Liability Company, or Ltd. Liability Co. To check the availability of a name, you can perform a Connecticut business name search.

2: Membership: An LLC is owned by its members. Unlike a corporation, members are not issued shares of stock. Instead, they are given an ownership percentage, usually based upon what they have contributed to the company.

3: Choose Management: Most LLCs are simply managed by their members. However, the members may choose to appoint a manager to oversee the daily activities instead. The manager can be a member or any outside party.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Nature of business: the lawful business your company intends to conduct.

  • Principal address: the business location where you keep your company records and your financial books.

  • Statutory Agent: legal statutory agents (also known as registered agents) must maintain a physical street address in Connecticut, which is called a registered office (no PO boxes). Speedy filings come with one free year of Connecticut statutory agent service. This service keeps your private and office addresses off the public record and fulfills the registered agent, mailing and principal address requirements.

  • Management: you must state how your LLC will be managed (by its members or by a manager) as well as list the name, title, home and physical address of at least one member.

Form Your LLC Here Online

Testimonials

Incorporating with you was definitely the right move to make. It was fast, simple and painless. Thanks for providing a good service.” - April C.,Plymouth, Connecticut

I hired you to form an LLC for me and you did that and more. You answered all of my questions and even got me set up with an EIN. Thanks again.” - Connor O., Cornwall, Connecticut

I took one look at the stack of papers needed to incorporate and knew I would rather let someone who knew what they were doing file it for me. Thanks.” - Chris H., Middletown, Connecticut