Call Us: (303) 848-3804

Steps to Forming an Alaska Corporation

Information We Need From You to Start Your Corporation

1: Select a Name: You must include the word Corporation, Company, Incorporated, Limited, or an abbreviation of one of those words. You cannot select words or phrases that imply the corporation conducts any business other than its intended purpose (you cannot open a bakery and call it Joe’s Finance).

2: Authorize Shares: Ownership of a corporation is determined by shares of stock. Owners are known as shareholders. Alaska requires corporations to authorize an initial number of shares (you must authorize at least one share). Generally, a new corporation might authorize 100 shares of stock and later, at the first shareholder meeting, divide the shares between the owners. If you are the only owner, you can issue 51% of the shares to yourself, giving yourself control of the company, and leave the other 49% for future business partners.

Alaska requires you to assign a class of stock and a par value. Most owners issue only common stock. Par value is not the actual value of the stock, but rather the lowest price the stock can be sold for.

3: Select Management: Corporations are managed by Directors, who make decisions about policy and finance (issuing stock, appointing corporate officers, setting salaries and bonuses, etc.). Generally, you would simply designate yourself as Director. Directors appoint the corporate officers (President, Treasurer, Secretary). If you are the sole shareholder, you will likely perform these roles yourself.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • Purpose of Corporation: the lawful business you intend to do (a shoe store’s purpose, for example, could be to sell footwear to the public). Alaska requires you to supply a 6-digit industry code from the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), which can be found here.

  • Registered Agent: a legal registered agent must have a physical address in Alaska, known as a registered office (cannot be a PO box). All our Speedy filings include one free year of Alaska registered agent service by Northwest Registered Agent. Their service keeps your home and office address private and off public records.

Form Your Corporation Here Online

Steps to Forming an Alaska LLC

Information We Need From You to Start Your LLC

1: Select a Name: Your company name must contain the words Limited Liability Company or the abbreviation L.L.C. or LLC. The word “Limited” may be abbreviated as “Ltd.” and the word “Company” may be abbreviated as “Co.” The name cannot contain the words: City, Borough or Village, or otherwise imply that the company is a municipality. To see if your name is available, you can do an Alaska business name search.

2: Membership: An LLC’s owners are known as members. Unlike a corporation, members do not own stock in their company. Instead, when you start an LLC, typically you decide who will be a member and what percentage of the company they will own, usually based on what each member contributes to the company.

3: Choose Management: Typically, members manage the LLC themselves (there is no board of directors or officers). However, you can also appoint a particular individual to act as the manager and oversee all the day to day business activities. This is often done if a number of the members have no interest in being directly involved in running the business.

4: Remaining Info Needed to File:

  • LLC Purpose: the lawful business activity you are going to pursue. Alaska requires that you also list a 6-digit industry code from the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), which can be found here. A general business clause is preferred.

  • Registered Agent: a legal registered agent must have a physical address in the state of Alaska. This is called a registered office (no PO boxes). All our Speedy filings include one free year of Alaska registered agent service from Northwest Registered Agent. Their service keeps your personal and office address out of the public record.

Form Your LLC Here Online

Testimonials

Thanks so much for all fo your help. The order was done super fast and we’re so glad to finally be an official business.” - Gene F., Juneau, Alaska

I’ll admit I was a little wary of incorporating online, but you guys definitely stepped up to the plate. Fast turn around and good customer service. Thanks.” - Susan N., Sitka, Alaska

Thanks for incorporating my business. The process was fast, easy and you guys were great about following up with me on my order.” - Jackson B., Nome, Alaska